Welcome to the UltraJam platform

Searching for intelligent life on earth...

Saturday, July 7, 2007

Reverend Frank Floats my Boat


I saw "License to Wed" today and it was hil-frickin-larious (rolls off the tongue better with 2 l's). The critics, however, hated it! I think the critics need to have their humorology examined. I am telling you, I can rewind a few scenes in my head and still laugh out loud. Robin Williams' character, Reverend Frank, is a lovably annoying and wise man. And his mini me, an odd little boy in his 'ministers of tomorrow' program, is the perfect wing man.

I live within walking distance of theaters, so I skip right over quite a lot, with or without friends. Today I went solo, which I've convinced myself I'm totally comfortable with. Perhaps I still have kernels of lone movie-goer shame left in me. After sitting down and getting the once over from nearby couples and quartets, I busted myself for pretending to look for my 'friend' coming in either of the entry points until the blessed darkness fell. Wuss. I should embrace my by myselfness and proudly take that end seat with reckless abandon.

Back on point. This movie has lots of funny scenes and cameos from most of "The Office" cast, as a nod to the lead actor. There's a fantastic series of blunders when the couple is dealing with fake twin baby dolls going ballistic in Macy's. The dolls are part of Reverend Frank's marriage course to help them know each other better. It was a scream. When I laugh like that I begin to laugh at myself laughing, which leads to stifling, which culminates in choking and gasping and a few looks of concern from my seat neighbors.

All well worth it! If you feel like laughing and learning love tips simultaneously - go see it. And please don't stare at the LMGs.

4 comments:

Tracy said...

Just out of curiosity, why is it so hard for people to do things on their own? I admit, doing things with other people is nicer (if you like the people), but my boyfriend and one of my friends from school hate eating alone (going out or eating at the dining hall). Most of my first semester at school I sat at a table for four alone. And if I had the money to take myself out to eat, I don't think that would bother me either. I know it's not really relevant to the point of your post, but since you brought it up, I thought I'd ask.Either that or the lunchroom was so crowded I shared it with a bunch of strangers that I never talked to.

Cat said...

Good questions. I venture out quite a bit on my own - a few road trips, shows, dining. My friends have obligations preventing the freedom I have as a single chick to go where I want. I'm usually comfortable with it, but sometimes get self-conscious thinking all the world believes I have no friends! Funny, I never felt that way vacationing in New York - happy parties of 1 everywhere. Thanks for commenting. Cat

Wilson said...

now and then i go movies by myself as more of a "time to myself" kind of thing...sounds weird but turns out kinda fun in a way :)

But...i can't party alone. Thats the ultimate sin for me ^_^

PS: I love karaoke too! Though here in Fiji karaoke is looked upon as an asian man's sport...sigh. We really need to educate the masses XD

Bob Johnson said...

I love the Office, I was wondering how good this show would be, thanks for the mini review.

My Cynical Score

You Are 40% Cynical
Generally you give people the benefit of the doubt. But there are exceptions.
You buy into many of the things that mainstream society believes, but you're not anybody's fool.