Welcome to the UltraJam platform

Searching for intelligent life on earth...

Monday, July 16, 2007

Starbucksopoly Alternative


I'm a coffee lover. My Dutch heritage and my Dad's birthplace of Java genetically predisposed me to coffee-loving. I do not love Starbucks coffee. Their specialty drinks either taste like warm milk or scalding hot sugar syrup to me. Thankfully, I've discovered a fantastic alternative to the Starbucks on every corner: Peet's Coffee and Tea.

Peet's serves robust coffee straight up or in delightful mixtures of the latte and cappuccino varieties. When I take a sip, I no longer scowl at the absence of coffee flavor in my coffee; I smile in pure bliss (after I swallow).

The earthy brown beans roasted on site at Peet's greet you at the door and the staff even make attempts to memorize your first name. Kind of a nice neighborhood feel. There aren't too many Peet's around on the west coast, I guess because Starbucks really is on every corner. But if you come across one, don't pass it by! This is coffee for grown-ups.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, Starbucks coffee tastes very non-coffee. I have to say, though, that I worked as a barista for awhile at a competing coffee shop who owned a local roasting facility so I may be spoiled.

On the by to by, I love the song on your blog. I'm a jazz fan myself so it's nice to meet someone else who's into it as well :)

Cat said...

Hello Daria, thanks for commenting. Isn't jazz the greatest? So expressive and up to individual interpretation.

I visited your blog - very nice design and graphics. Interesting content, too!

Anonymous said...

I used to live in Seattle (before Rome the other land of coffee) and I enjoyed both starbucks and peets- I can see why people dislike it, and I didn't go there for a rich, bold espresso.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the compliment. I just moved it from another domain so that's why there's not a lot there but I'm hoping to make up for that over the next few weeks :)

Bob Johnson said...

I don't like their coffee at all, beside its to expensive, I'm a Tim Hortons fan all the way!

My Cynical Score

You Are 40% Cynical
Generally you give people the benefit of the doubt. But there are exceptions.
You buy into many of the things that mainstream society believes, but you're not anybody's fool.